"You know you're a photographer when you have thousands of pictures and you're not in any of them!"
One of the photography websites that I came across made a very good point: If we are to be working together, we should get to know each other first. I think that is an excellent idea! So here are some random things about me.
1. I have always loved faces. As a kid I would try to draw people. I did this all the way until college. I would love to say I was good at it, but...I wasn't! My drawings would never turn out the way I wanted them to. Then I discovered photography!
2. My first photography job was in 1995 when I was 19 years old. I answered a help wanted ad for a receptionist position for Life Touch Photography. It was a seasonal job for the summer, but in the fall they needed photographers to go to the school to do school portraits. I told my boss that I wanted to try it. He was skeptical at first, he didn't think I would be strong enough to lift all the equipment that we had to haul into the schools. Ha! I might've been skinny, but I was stronger than I looked! I immediately fell in love with photography and when that seasonal job was over, I was hired on at studio to do family and children's portraiture. One job led to another and then to another, and now I own my own photography business.
3. When I was growing up, I was really shy. In fact, had you told me that one day I would repeatedly get up in front of groups of people, and purposely tell them to look at me and smile, I would've said you were crazy! I wasn't shy around my friends, or people that knew me well, but it took me forever to learn how to talk to "boys"! I outgrew that my senior year of high school, thank goodness!
4. I would rather be behind the camera than in front of it!
5. I actually met my husband in high school, and had the biggest crush on him our Junior year. I was still really shy at the point, so I was too scared to really talk to him! But we kept running in to each other, we even ended up in the same drawing class at the University of Utah. We became friends then, (I had learned how to talk!). Even though we were both dating other people at the point, I had the strongest feeling that I would marry him someday. A couple of years later, we ran into each other again, and were both single, and he finally asked me out! We were married on Friday the 13th in 2001.
6. We have 3 children. Our oldest are now young adults and have photographer child syndrome. Every time someone brings out a camera, they start pulling funny faces. I’m not sure they will ever outgrow this! Our youngest and only daughter is a bundle of energy and I’m convinced she will be a circus performer someday.
7. I love cats. I currently have three of them! My kids kept asking for them and I couldn’t say no.
8. I am silly